Race, Equity, De-Colonization, & Inclusion Statement
In this nation of wealth, privilege and a growing disparity between those that have and those that have considerably less, the Primavera Foundation believes that everyone deserves respect, dignity, and a feeling of connection to the surrounding world. These were the seeds Primavera Foundation planted 37 years ago that we continue to sow today. Our vision, to promote social and economic justice while working to build a future in which all people are assured basic human rights, a livable income, and safe, affordable housing, remains a guiding principle for Primavera’s strategic direction. We affirm that living our mission necessitates understanding how systems of oppression have historically created inequities, especially in matters of race and class. These systemic and institutional powers act as enormous barriers for certain communities to reach their full potential. In response to this reality, we are committed to formulating responsive actions, creating intentional policies, and centering anti-oppression work to address and dismantle these multi-layers of inequity.
We envision a world where society and its systems (e.g. the economy, education, public health and safety, criminal justice, housing, etc.) are just, fair, equitable and inclusive. We strive for a healthy and thriving society that promotes all people having equitable access and opportunity.
THE PRIMAVERA FOUNDATION, THEREFORE, COMMITS TO:
- EXAMINING PRIVILEGE: Addressing the privileges we have, both individually and corporately, to facilitate the shifting of power to those who have been historically oppressed and continue to be oppressed.
- UNDERSTANDING OPPRESSION and PRACTICING ANTI-OPPRESSION STRATEGIES: Building competency about intersectionality and the impact of individual and institutional oppression in order to address it through our recruitment, hiring, on-boarding and training processes, operations, and services.
- AMPLIFYING VOICES: Listening to and incorporating the voices of those who have been historically marginalized in our planning and decision making. Developing capacity of these leaders, by investing time and resources and utilizing our individual and organizational privilege to open up space and leverage power for those emerging leaders.
- INCREASING ACCESS: Providing access to effective and culturally relevant resources and services for those who have been marginalized and disempowered.
- REDUCING BARRIERS: Identifying and dismantling the tangible and intangible barriers that exclude and discourage those who have been historically marginalized from accessing services.
- CULTIVATING INCLUSION: Creating opportunities that welcome and reflect the diversity of historically marginalized and disempowered people/groups as leaders in the community, and continually working to ensure that the Staff, Organizational Leadership, and Board of Directors reflect the diversity of our networks and vision.